Three Forks and Bakken Stratigraphy in West Central Saskatchewan. by Saskatchewan. Dept. of Mineral Resources. Geological Sciences Branch. Download PDF EPUB FB2
The overall accommodation space for the Bakken and Three Forks is low (Skinner et al., ). The accommodation space for the overlying Lodgepole is high (Skinner et al., ). This suggests glacial controls for the Bakken Three Forks sea level changes and perhaps tectonic controls on the Lodgepole (e.g., higher subsidence and depositional rates).
Stratigraphy Central Bakken Basin in North Dakota Devonian Three Forks Mississippian Lodgepole Formation M i s s i s s i p p i a n B a k k e n F o r m a t i o n i Upper Shale Member Lower Shale Member Transitional Facies – L5 Transitional Facies - L1 Lithofacies 2 Lithofacies 3 LithofaciesLithofacies 44 Central Basin Facies South NorthFile Size: 4MB.
The Bakken Formation (/ ˈ b ɑː k ən /) is a rock unit from the Late Devonian to Early Mississippian age occupying aboutsquare miles (, km 2) of the subsurface of the Williston Basin, underlying parts of Montana, North Dakota, Saskatchewan and formation was initially described by geologist J.W.
Nordquist in The formation is entirely in the Overlies: Wabamun Formation, Big Valley. The purpose of this paper is to describe the Bakken facies and associated rock-types in west-central Saskatchewan (Figure 1) using evidence from the study of about 50 cores and associated well-log data, and to make a preliminary interpretation of the depositional history of the formation in the study area.
It is an oil producer in southwest Manitoba. and in southeast and west-central Saskatchewan. the area of this study (Figure 1). The Bakken Formation was informally subdivided by Nordquist (). into three : D. Kasper, H.
Hendry, R. Renaul. The upper devonian-lower mississippian bakken formation of west-central Saskatchewan: Stratigraphic architecture and sequence stratigraphy of a conventional heavy oil reservoir.
), commingled Bakken-Three Forks oil pools (green), and the Three Forks Formation subcrop edge (blue). General Stratigraphy The Three Forks Formation, Qu’Appelle Group is a Devonian silty, shaley dolarenite stratigraphically positioned between the overlying siltstones, sandstones and shales of the.
Stratigraphy Three Forks Formation (Devonian) • Conformable & Unconformable • ft thick Three Forks Fm. Bakken Fm. upper middle 1 0 0 0 0. Bakken Middle Member Porosity Zone Montana North Dakota Porosity Zone Contours 0 5 10 15 20 25 30 35 40 45 50 55 60 65 70 C o n t o u r I n t e r v a l ft.
0 5 10 15 20 25 30 35 40 45 50 55 60 Regional stratigraphy of the Bakken, Pronghorn, and Three Forks in the Williston Basin and equivalent sections in the South Alberta and Sappington Basins John C. Hohman 1, John M. Guthrie 2, Aaron P. Rodriguez 2, Nicholas J.
Hogancamp 2. west-central saskatchewan east-central saskatchewan favel morden oldman ribstone creek equivalent victoria alderson bakken strathallen killdeer stonewall big valley torquay three forks group madison group success s1 success s1 winnipeg general petroleums stratigraphic correlation chart sandstone shale carbonateFile Size: KB.
Geologic formations of Saskatchewan (10 C, 11 P) Pages in category "Stratigraphy of Saskatchewan" The following 66 pages are in this category, out of 66 total. Kasper, D. (): Stratigraphy and sedimentology of the Bakken Formation of west-central Saskatchewan: A preliminary report; in Summary of InvestigationsSaskatchewan Geological Survey.
The objective of this project is to provide a regional overview of the petroleum geology and stratigraphy of the Late Devonian Three Forks Formation and Early Mississippian Bakken Formation in southwest Manitoba.
Methodology: Regional, detailed core logging of the Three Forks and Bakken formation. Sedimentology and Petroleum Potential of the Devonian/Mississippian Three Forks and Bakken Formations and Equivalent Strata in Central and Western Montana* Michael H.
Hofmann1, Marc S. Hendrix2, and Tetsuro Nagase2 Search and Discovery Article. Three transgressive-regressive systems tracts are interpreted in the Bakken Formation in southeastern Alberta and southwestern Saskatchewan based on analysis of cores and well logs. These systems tracts include a basal transgressive systems tract TST1, a regressive systems tract RST and a transgressive systems tract by: 1.
Is the oil field the next Bakken. Oil prospectors are hunting for North America’s next big shale play in a layer of rock dubbed the Torquay in Canada, also known at the Three Forks in the United. New technology and enhanced recoveries may add to the number in the future. Total Bakken and Three Forks production to December was billion bbl of oil and tcf of gas f wells.
Thus the play is in its early stages. Production from both the Three Forks and Bakken is excellent. Bakken Pronghorn Pronghorn Upper Three Forks Bakken Bakken Upper Three Forks Middle Three Forks Middle Three Forks Lower Three Forks Figure 2 - Photograph of the core from the Continental Resources, Inc.
- # Charlotte (SWSE Sec. 22, TN, R99W) showing the current breakdown of the stratigraphy. Lower Member Pronghorn Member A A’ 0 But the Bakken source rock itself has been so prolific, there wasn’t much incentive to drill deeper and go through a new learning curve at the Three Forks.
On April 14 Crescent Point Energy (CPG-TSX) announced a Torquay discovery in its core Flat Lake area in southeast Saskatchewan, right along the US border. In just 12 months, the company. These were mostly in the Rocanville Field, discovered during the mids. Sincethe Bakken in southeast Saskatchewan has been extensively drilled with over 1, wells completed, and a current production of o bbls/day of API oil with a percent water cut.
The Bakken has become one of Canada’s premier light oil plays. GEOLOGY of CAVALIER AND PEMBINA COUNTIES by B. Michael Arndt North Dakota Geological Survey Grand Forks, North Dakota east-west direction and is the topographic expressio n of an old channel of the Pembina River 27 File Size: 5MB.
CANADIAN GEOSCIENCE SUCCESS STORIES SASKATCHEWAN The Middle Bakken of Southeast Saskatchewan. set about mapping the detailed stratigraphy of the Middle Bakken. The result was a as well as targeting new directions for exploration – namely extending west of areas of current production and exploration.
Promotion of the play and new play. USGS Releases New Oil and Gas Assessment for Bakken and Three Forks Formations Release Date: May 2, On Apthe United States Geological Survey (USGS) released an updated oil and gas resource assessment for the Bakken Formation and a new assessment for the Three Forks Formation in North Dakota, South Dakota and Montana.
Devonian Stratigraphy of Northeastern Alberta ; Northwestern Saskatchewan Memoir [Norris, A. W.] on *FREE* shipping on qualifying offers.
Devonian Stratigraphy of Northeastern Alberta ; Northwestern Saskatchewan Memoir Author: A. Norris. The USGS assessment found that the Bakken Formation has an estimated mean oil resource of BBO and the Three Forks Formation has an estimated mean resource of BBO, for a total of BBO, with a range of (95 percent chance) to BBO (5 percent chance).
USGS assessed the Bakken and Three Forks Formations for both. tribution of the Three Forks Formation in southwestern Manitoba, from the Saskatchewan and United States bor-ders east and north to the Three Forks erosional subcrop edge (Figure GS).
The Devonian Three Forks Formation is a cyclical transgressive-regressive sequence of shaly to silty dolomitic arenite, interbedded with silty shale, and is. Bulletin of Canadian Petroleum Geology Vol. 44 (), No. (December), Pages Famennian and Tournaisian Biostratigraphy of the Big Valley, Exshaw and Bakken Formations, Southeastern Alberta and Southwestern Saskatchewan.
THREE FORKS GROUP MISSISSIPPIAN irden Member Whitewater Lake Mbr lower DEVONIAN ALEOZOIC Figure 4: Mississippian portion of the Williston Basin Project stratigraphic column for eastern Saskatchewan and southwestern Manitoba. Hofmann, M. H., Hendrix, M. S., Nagase, T.,Sedimentology and Petroleum Potential of the Devonian/Mississippian Three Forks and Bakken Formations and Equivalent Strata in Central and Western Montana.
AAPG Annual Convention and Exhibition Oil exploration in the Bakken and Three Forks formations has often been likened to a baseball game, and we are supposed to be at the top of the second inning; it appears we may have entered into, what we hope is, a short rain delay.
Continued on page 17 ABOUT THE NORTH DAKOTA ASSOCIATION OF OIL & GAS PRODUCING COUNTIES. The Bakken Formation of Saskatchewan: A High Resolution Geochemical Evaluation: Ahmadi, Amin New Insights into the Three Forks Group, southwestern Manitoba: Stratigraphic Changes and New Sedimentological Model Sequence Stratigraphy of Late Devonian(Frasnian) Carbonate Platforms from the Front Ranges of West Central Alberta: Wood, James M.This paper shows the results from the interpretation of three sets of logs from the Manitou Lake area in west central Saskatchewan (Figure 1).
The log analysis is intended to support reservoir evaluation; as well as help interpret a 3C-3D seismic survey acquired by Kinetec Inc. in the area in February for Calroc Energy Ltd. The Colony andFile Size: 1MB.Arch to the west, and the Punnichy Arch fronting the Saskatchewan Monocline to the north.
The eastern portion of the Sweetgrass Arch is represented by the Swift Current Platform of southwestern Saskatchewan and the Central Montana Platform (Kent and Christopher, ). During the Hauterivian to Barremian (Early Cretaceous), probably.